Recipe courtesy of Chicken Farmers of Saskatchewan
You’ve heard the expression “spring chicken” – well this is the ultimate Spring Chicken Burger smacking of fresh dill, capers and lemon zest coupled with light yet protein-packed ground chicken. Satisfying but not heavy, this is the go-to burger when you’re having the girls over or want a casual yet substantial speedy dinner.
Havarti & Fresh Dill Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup Havarti cheese, grated
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of one lemon
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for garnish
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, for garnish
- tomato slices for garnish
- cucumber slices for garnish
- Place chicken in a wide dish. Spread out so it covers the widest area possible. Evenly sprinkle with the remaining burger ingredients.
- Stir with a fork or use your fingers to evenly distribute ingredients. Stir chicken as little as possible because working it toughens the burger. Divide in four, then form each into a burger about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. To avoid a bulging centre, use your thumb to gently press an indent in the centre of each.
- Coat a wide frying pan with oil or spray and place over medium heat. Add burgers and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes a side. Then decrease heat to medium-low. Cover and continue cooking 4 to 5 more minutes a side.
- Meanwhile stir sour cream with Dijon until blended. Serve burgers in warm buns topped with dollops of the Dijon-sour cream, sliced ripe tomatoes and thinly sliced cucumber.