Recipe courtesy of Chicken Farmers of Saskatchewan
The sweet flavour of honey complements the saltiness of the olives and middle eastern seasonings in this recipe for Roast Chicken Breasts with Olives and Honey Jus.
Roast Chicken Breasts with Olives and Honey Jus
Roasted Chicken Breasts with Olives and Honey Jus:
Whole Grain Couscous Pilaf:
- 1 cup couscous, whole-grain
- 2 cups water, boiled
- 2 Tbsp currants, dried
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 Tbsp butter, salted
- 1 tsp cumin, grated
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
Roast Chicken Breasts with Olives and Honey Jus:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
- In a bowl, mix cumin, salt, paprika, and turmeric together and set aside.
- Lightly cover bottom of a 2L baking pan with canola oil. Cut onion in half and slice vertically into thin strips. Sprinkle over bottom of baking dish and top with chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle breasts with spice mixture, flip over and sprinkle other side. Drizzle with melted honey.
- Bake 30 minutes. Turn over pieces, baste with honey jus and sprinkle olives over chicken. Continue to bake, uncovered, until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in each piece reads 165°F (74°C). Baste a few more times while finishing baking.
- Serve with whole-grain couscous pilaf (recipe below). Divide the couscous among four dinner plates. Arrange the chicken over the couscous and top with some olives and roast onions. Spoon honey jus over and serve.
Whole-grain Couscous Pilaf:
- Place the couscous in a bowl with the cumin, dried currants, grated carrot and a small knob of butter. Pour over boiling water, cover the bowl with plate and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in the parsley and lemon juice.