By Shannon Crocker, RD
You can swap ground turkey into any recipe that calls for ground meat. Turkey tacos are an easy family favourite. Your kids can help with meal prep, and everyone can make their tacos the way they like. Double the ingredients and make taco salad bowls for lunch the next day.
Don’t love raw onion? Don’t worry, the red onion salsa is sort of quick-pickled so it’s tangy without the bite of raw onion – and it is incredible with these turkey tacos.
Turkey and Black Bean Tacos with Red Onion Salsa
Red Onion Salsa
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion (about 1 large onion)
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp diced jalapeño pepper (about 1 small pepper)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 -12 small corn or whole grain tortillas or crunchy lettuce leaves
- Your choice! Try any of the following: shredded carrot, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded cabbage or bagged cabbage slaw, sliced sweet red peppers, sliced avocado, toasted corn, shredded cheese and salsa.
Red Onion Salsa:
- In a small bowl, combine red onion, lime juice, oil, jalapeño pepper, oregano and salt. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add turkey, breaking into crumbles with a spoon. Cook, stirring frequently until browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Add the black beans, water, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes and salt. Simmer until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Serve taco mixture along with tortillas or crunchy lettuce leaves, Red Onion Salsa and assorted toppings. Let everyone create their own taco the way they like it!