On a cold day nothing beats a hearty soup! This is a delicious way to get your veggies along with your protein via extra lean ground beef. This is a simple and quick recipe for first time cooks to try.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery stalks diced
- 1 cup shredded baby spinach
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheese tortellini or whole wheat macaroni
- Heat oil in a deep soup pot on medium-high. Brown beef for 5 minutes, breaking beef into a crumble with the back of a spoon. Stir in mushrooms, onion, salt, pepper, carrots, celery and spinach. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in tortellini and cook for 7 minutes or until noodles are just cooked.