Cooking the tomatoes in different ways adds a twist to this dish and a kick to grilled chicken.
Tomato Grilled Chicken with Oven Roasted Tomato and Onion Marmalade
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine tomatoes, vinegar and sugar into saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add thyme, garlic and salt. Boil gently for about 35 minutes, stirring often until most of the liquid is evaporated. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss together tomatoes, onion, oil, oregano, parsley, and garlic. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 400 °F (200 °C) oven for about 30 minutes or until very tender and golden. Stir in salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Toss chicken thighs with oil and parsley. Add 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the Tomato Marmalade and toss to coat. Place on greased grill over medium heat and grill, turning occasionally for about 12 minutes or until no longer pink inside and internal temperature reaches 165 °F (74 °C).
- Spoon roasted chopped tomato and onion into shallow bowl and top with grilled chicken and drizzle with remaining marmalade to serve.
Before you start, wash all surfaces and your hands with soap and warm water, and remember to wash your hands, utensils and cutting boards after they touch raw meat or eggs. Avoid cross-contamination by using a different cutting board for your meat and other ingredients. Make sure you’re cooking to safe temperatures and chilling any leftovers within two hours. For more food safety tips, visit our Food Safety at Home Section.