This quick and flavourful recipe for Tikka Masala Beef Skewers is a great way to try something new in the kitchen. Serve this recipe up buffet style and let everyone pick their own toppings. The subtle spice from the curry paste is cooled off with the Raita yogurt sauce making for a perfectly balanced dish.
Tikka Masala Beef Skewers
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) masala or curry paste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lb (500 g) Fast-fry beef steaks (e.g. thin-cut Strip Loin), sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely grated cucumber, squeezed dry
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 pieces of Naan bread or pitas
- 1 cup (250n mL) cucumber slices
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro (optional)
- Beef skewers: Position oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat the oven’s broiler. In a medium sized bowl, mix together masala paste and yogurt. Add beef to spice mixture and stir until evenly coated. Can keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 24 hours if not cooking immediately. Thread 1 strip of beef onto each skewer and place on a foil-lined rimmed inch baking sheet. If strips are small, thread 2 or 3 strips onto a skewer. Broil for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep the oven light on and check often to make sure beef does not burn.
- Raita: In a small bowl, mix together cucumber, yogurt, onion, salt, pepper and garlic. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Garnishes: Pull beef off the skewers and place on top of naan bread. Garnish with cucumber, red onion, lettuce, tomato, cilantro and Raita sauce.