This hearty stewed beef has all the flavour of your family favourite taco meat but will make 3 meals out of one pot! You can enjoy one meal and freeze the beef for later. The unique sauce is thickened with time and cornmeal for a wonderful toasty corn flavour that is perfect for taco-inspired meals. Look for stewing beef on sale or a boneless roast to cut into pieces for an economical meal choice.
Taco Stewed Beef
- 3 lb stew beef cubes, cut into 1 inch/2.5 cm chunks
- 3 Tbsp cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp chili powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil, divided (approx)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- In a large bowl, toss beef cubes with cornmeal, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the chili powder, salt and pepper to coat.In a large wide saucepan, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil over medium high heat and brown beef in batches, adding oil as necessary. Remove beef to a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add 1 cup (250 mL) of the beef broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, scraping up brown bits from pan and until reduced slightly.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until starting to soften and thicken. Stir in remaining chilli powder, oregano and cumin; cook stirring for about 2 minutes. Return beef and accumulated juices to saucepan. Add tomato sauce, remaining beef broth, vinegar and cayenne into saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on low, stirring occasionally for about 2 hours or until beef is tender. Uncover and simmer gently, stirring often for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Let cool slightly and divide mixture into about 2 cup (500 mL) portions.