Healthy whole grain spaghetti is tossed with a robust sauce of balsamic roasted tomatoes and fibre-rich chickpeas. This easy to prepare dish is perfect for busy weeknights and is sure to please everyone at the table.
Spaghetti with Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas
- 5 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (if using canned, be sure to thoroughly rinse)
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 box (13 oz/375 g) whole grain spaghetti
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese or grated Parmesan cheese optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a rimmed 13 x 18 -inch (33 x 48 cm) baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place the tomatoes, chickpeas, garlic, canola oil, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper in a large bowl. Gently toss.
- Place the tomato mixture on the prepared pan and roast for 15 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water cook the pasta according to package directions. Pasta should be tender but firm. Drain (do not rinse), reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of pasta water.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl, adding in the roasted tomato mixture (be sure to get all of the pan juices), reserved pasta water, and fresh basil. Gently toss.
- Divide the pasta into bowls and garnish with fresh basil leaves and cheese, if using.