Chicken breasts are quickly seared in a skillet then roasted with plenty of lemon and garlic to make a bright and flavourful dish. Be sure to spoon some of the delicious pan juices over the chicken when serving.
Skillet Lemon Chicken with Herbs
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 (8 oz / 250 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup unsalted or sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried
- optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), with rack placed in the centre of the oven.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board. Sprinkle with half of the flour and black pepper.
- Warm a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet (or any ovenproof skillet) over medium-high heat. Add the canola oil to the skillet. When it is hot, add the chicken, flour-side down. Sprinkle the top of the chicken with remaining flour and black pepper. Cook the chicken on each side for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the chicken stock, lemon juice, lemon zest and thyme. Remove from the heat and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the breast. Remove from the oven and top with chopped parsley, if desired. Serve the lemon chicken with steamed brown rice, wild rice, quinoa or barley and steamed vegetables or a green salad.