Take pasta night to another level with this Skillet Lasagna with Spinach from our family-friendly meals for baby series. Use regular lasagna noodles (not oven-ready) for this recipe.
Skillet Lasagna with Spinach
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 jar (680 mL) passata (strained tomato purée)
- 10 dried lasagna noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 pkg)
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 100 g)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a deep 12-inch oven-safe skillet or or sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Crumble in beef; cook, breaking up with a spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add onion, garlic and herb seasoning; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Pour in passata and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Stir in broken lasagna noodles and 1 cup additional water. Reduce heat and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Stir in 2 cups additional water. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until noodles are tender and sauce has thickened.
- Layer spinach over top and cover; let stand for 3 minutes. Stir until wilted. Stir in ricotta, 1/3 cup basil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle top with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler to high and position rack to center of oven. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until gooey and lightly browned. Garnish with additional torn basil.
Baby/Toddler Fast Adapt
- Prepare foods without adding salt
- Cook beef to 160ºF (71ºC)
- Exclude dairy ingredients until baby is 9 months of age
- Before serving, heat up all baby food until hot, then cool to lukewarm
Infant Mix: Place cooked beef & pasta mixture in a blender or food processor. If needed, add breastmilk or formula for easier blending and process until smooth.
Baby Chunky Mash: Stir in some shredded mozzarella until melted. Use two knives to finely chop beef & pasta mixture into very small pieces. Add water, formula or breastmilk to thin, as needed.
Toddler Finger Foods: Cut the meal into chunks and serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and with shredded mozzarella.