This Simple Steak & Potato Skillet Dinner recipe from our family-friendly meals for babies series easily transforms into iron-rich food for children of all ages. Here’s how!
Simple Steak & Potato Skillet Dinner
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Season steaks all over with steak spice. In batches, cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Tent with foil.
- Add the remaining oil and mushrooms to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter, garlic and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in potatoes and toss to coat well. Pour in 1 cup water. Cook, covered and stirring occasionally, for 15 to 18 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and browned, adding additional water if necessary. Add lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice steak on a diagonal across the grain, into thin strips. Return steak, mushrooms and any accumulated juices to the skillet with the potatoes. Add the peas and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until peas are cooked through.
- 5. Serve with some cooked green beans and a dollop of Greek yogurt if desired.
Baby/Toddler Fast Adapt
- Prepare foods without adding salt
- Cook beef to 160ºF (71ºC)
- Exclude dairy ingredients until baby is 9 months of age
- Before serving, heat up all baby food until hot, then cool to lukewarm
Infant Mix: Combine cooked steak, mushrooms, potatoes and peas in a blender or food processor. If needed, add breastmilk or formula for easier blending and process until smooth.
Baby Chunky Mash: Pulse cooked steak, mushrooms, potatoes and peas in a blender or food processor until finely chopped adding breastmilk, formula or water to thin, as needed.
Toddler Finger Foods: Cut cooked foods into finger-food portions.