Recipe courtesy of Canola Eat Well
Creating a rich textured sauce is easy and rich in protein when using soft tofu! Try it out for a new twist on a family favourite. This recipe has been reviewed by Heart and Stroke Foundation Registered Dietitians.
Roasted Tomato Sauce Linguini
- 6 ripe but firm, plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 4 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup silken plain tofu
- 1 375 g pkg whole wheat linguine
- 1 cup cooked no salt added canned mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
- In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, garlic cloves, 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the parsley and basil, oil and hot pepper flakes to coat. Spread onto prepared pan and roast for 25 minutes or until tomatoes are blistered and golden. Let cool slightly.
- Transfer tomato mixture to blender with tofu and puree until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook linguine for about 8 minutes or until al dente. Place beans in colander and drain pasta over top. Return linguine and beans to pot over low heat and add tomato sauce and remaining parsley and basil. Cook stirring gently for about 1 minute and sprinkle with cheese to serve.