Choose the turkey parts you love best – breast, thighs, drumsticks, wings, or some of each – and roast them up in a fraction of the time that it takes to roast a whole bird. The sweet and tangy maple glaze gives you that gorgeous glossy, crispy skin and tastes fabulous. Allow for about 1 lb(500 g) bone-in, skin on turkey parts per person for dinner with leftovers. This amount of glaze will coat about 5 to 6 lbs (2.5 to 3 kg) turkey parts.
Recipe by Jennifer MacKenzie, P.H.Ec.
Roast Turkey Parts with Maple Thyme Glaze
- 5-6 lbs bone-in, skin-on turkey parts (breast,thighs, drumsticks or wings)
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper. Place pieces with the skin-side up on a rack in a large roasting pan, leaving space between pieces.
- Roast turkey for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Whisk together syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until bubbles slow somewhat and syrup is slightly thickened.Remove from heat and let cool until bubbles subside. Stir in thyme.
- Brush about half of the glaze over turkey. Roast for 10 minutes. Spoon about 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the pan drippings into remaining glaze and stir until blended; brush over turkey. Roast for 5 to 15minutes longer or until meat thermometer in the thickest part reads 170°F (77°C). Remove the smaller pieces, such as wings and drumsticks as they are ready, leaving larger pieces in the oven. Brush with any remaining glaze. Transfer turkey to a cutting board and tent with foil for 10 to 20 minutes before carving.Copyright Jennifer MacKenzie and Jay Nutt 2020