By Emily Richards
Emily’s son Matthew loves meatballs, mushrooms and gravy! So you know this is a recipe that brings comfort to the dinner table when he is cooking up supper for the family.
Pork Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups ready-to-use beef or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry or white wine
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill or parsley (optional)
- Place bread in a large bowl and pour milk over top. Let stand for 5 minutes. Break up bread with your hands.
- Add pork, onion, parsley, salt, paprika, nutmeg, allspice, pepper and egg, mixing until well combined (mixture will be soft).
- Using a heaping Tbsp (15 mL) for each meatball, shape into about 22 meatballs.
- For the gravy: In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning, for about 8 minutes or until browned all over.
- Transfer meatballs to a plate.
- Add mushrooms and salt to the pan and cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes or until golden. Stir in flour until mushrooms are coated. Gradually whisk in broth and sherry; Bring to a simmer and simmer, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Return meatballs and any accumulated juices to the pan; Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink inside. Serve sprinkled with dill, if using.