These tender chicken thighs, in a golden sauce of squash, golden raisins and chickpeas are lightly spiced and have a hint of lemon. Serve over a bed of couscous.
Moroccan-Inspired Chicken Thighs
- 2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 2 (1/2 lb / 250 g) bone-in, skinless, chicken thighs
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2 – inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp golden raisins
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 wide strips of lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown; about 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Add remaining canola oil, onion and squash; cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric, cinnamon and raisins; stir to coat vegetables.
- Add chicken broth and lemon strips to skillet; and bring to a simmer. Return chicken to skillet; cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and chick peas; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the chicken to plates. Spoon the broth and vegetables over the chicken and top with parsley.