Everyone loves meatballs, and this lentil variation is no exception. Loaded with fresh herbs and ricotta cheese, these lentil meatballs are light and lovely, especially when smothered in your favourite tomato sauce and served slider-style.
Lentil Meatball Sliders
- 2 cups green lentils, cooked
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp canola oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 cups your favourite tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 18 slider buns
- Place the lentils in a food processor and pulse until forming a chunky purée. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add eggs, ricotta, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, basil, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, fennel, and oil. Mix well. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the mixture into balls approximately 1 1/ 4 -inch (3 cm) in diameter. Arrange them on the baking sheet, and brush with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden, gently turning halfway through.
- Heat your favourite tomato sauce in a large saucepan over low heat. Add cooked meatballs to the sauce and gently stir to coat. Heat until warmed through.
- Brush the slider buns with oil and place on a baking sheet. Toast until golden. Remove from the oven. Place a lentil meatball and some sauce on one half of the slider bun. Add cheese on top of the meatball and on the plain, toasted bun. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted. Place the top cheese bun on top of the meatball and serve immediately.