Recipe courtesy of GoBarley
This flavourful and satisfying Lentil, Barley and Sweet Potato Soup is packed with healthy ingredients like nutrient-rich lentils and barley, and nutritious sweet potatoes, this soup is perfect for those seeking a filling and healthy meal that doesn’t sacrifice flavour.
Lentil, Barley and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup pot or pearl barley
- 6 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped*
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Rinse lentils, discarding any blemished or shriveled ones; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; sauté garlic, carrots, celery, onion and thyme, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in lentils and barley; pour in stock. Add bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potato; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until barley and potato are tender. Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in dill and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Add more stock if desired.