Recipe courtesy of Canola Eat Well
This hearty lentil and barley oven baked casserole is perfect to serve up any night of the week with a crunchy green salad served alongside.
This recipe has been reviewed by Heart and Stroke Foundation Registered Dietitians.
Lentil and Barley Oven Baked Casserole
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 3 cups hot low sodium vegetable broth
- 19 oz can petite cut stewed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup whole wheat fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly spray a deep 10 cup (2.5 L) casserole dish; set aside. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, thyme and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring for about 6 minutes or until softened. Stir in barley and lentils to coat. Scrape into prepared casserole dish. Pour in broth and stir to combine. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and return to oven for about 15 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed; stir gently.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs, feta, if using, parsley and remaining oil. Sprinkle over casserole, leave uncovered and broil for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.