Recipe and image courtesy of Saskatchewan Pulse Growers
This potato, green bean, chickpea, tomato and mozzarella salad recipe features a tangy lemon vinaigrette for a delicious alternative to traditional mayonnaise-based potato salads.
Lemony Potato Salad with Chickpeas and Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and sliced into 1 inch (2.5 cm) lengths (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 1/2 lbs baby red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in bite size pieces (about 4 cups/ 1L)
- 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups cubed mozzarella cheese, (about 10 oz)
- 6 basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- To make vinaigrette: In a small bowl or jar, combine canola oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, mustard, marjoram, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, or make the dressing a day in advance. Discard the garlic before using.
- In medium steamer pot, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) water to bottom of pot and green beans to steamer. Steam the beans until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water to stop the beans from cooking further, drain again once they have cooled. Set aside.
- Using the same steamer pot, steam the potatoes until tender when pierced with a knife, about 10-15 minutes. You may need to add additional water to complete steaming. Drain.
- In a large bowl, add warm potatoes and drizzle with about 1/3 of the vinaigrette. Set aside until cooled completely.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, mozzarella, and remaining vinaigrette. Toss. Add the green beans just before serving and garnish with basil.