By Jodi Robson
With only a few simple ingredients, the results are a delicious soft spongy cake with the baked in sweetness of honey shining through. Top with whipped cream and Saskatoon berries for a sweet afternoon treat!
Honey Cake with Saskatoon Berries
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup buttermilk (shake carton before measuring)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp confectioners or icing sugar
- Saskatoon berries (optional)
- Preheat oven 350°F (180°C). Butter and line two 8-inch (20 cm) round pans with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together honey and buttermilk until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth and pale yellow. Add in eggs, one at a time making sure to blend in completely before next addition.
- Once all the eggs have been added you can begin to add in the remaining wet and dry ingredients. Alternate additions of a 1/3 flour mixture and 1/2 buttermilk mixture; blending thoroughly between each addition. Lastly add in the vanilla.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans, smoothing the top with a spatula or spoon.
- Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the tops are golden and spring back to a light pressure.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes before sliding a knife around the edge of the pan and removing to cool completely.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream and Saskatoon berries. Enjoy!