Experience the irresistible scent and taste of homemade white bread. Indulge in the soft and delicious goodness that will fill your home with the comforting aroma of freshly baked bread.
Homemade White Bread
- In a large bowl, dissolve 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water. Sprinkle in yeast. Allow to proof until the yeast resembles a creamy foam, about 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine milk, butter, 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugar, salt and 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water. Add milk mixture and 3 cups (750 mL) flour to yeast mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic.
- Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time, to form a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of bowl. Turn out on a floured surface and form into a ball.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with parchment paper and clean tea towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Punch down to remove air bubbles. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a loaf. Place seam side down in 2 greased 9 x 5-inch (22 x 12.5 cm) loaf pans. Cover with a clean tea towel and let rise in warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove bread from pans onto a wire rack to cool. Brush top crust with butter if a soft crust is desired. Makes: 2 Loaves