The variety of textures and flavours in this hearty cranberry barley pilaf pair beautifully with the French-inspired herbs in this mouthwatering roast chicken.
Herb Roasted Chicken with Cranberry Barley Pilaf
Herb Roasted Chicken with Cranberry Barley Pilaf:
Herb Roasted Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from the chicken. In a small bowl, combine butter and seasonings; mix well.
- Set chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a foil-covered roasting pan. Using your fingers, gently separate the skin from the meat over the chicken breast and legs. Spread half of the herb butter under the skin. Spread the remainder over the skin on the wings, legs and breast. Tuck the wing tips under the back and tie the legs together with cotton string.
- Cover the chicken loosely with a tent of foil and roast until a thermometer inserted into the breast meat reads 180°F (82°C) (about 90 minutes). Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve with Cranberry Barley Pilaf.
Cranberry Barley Pilaf
- In a small bowl, soak cranberries in apple juice for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Stir in cranberries, apple juice, barley and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until barley is tender and liquid has been absorbed (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in almonds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.