By Emily Richards
Here’s a thick, comforting stew.
Gnocchi and Beef Stew
- 1 1⁄4 lbs (625 g) beef strip loin steaks, trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and black pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced2
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups (625 mL) ready-to-use beef broth
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh potato gnocchi
- Toss steak with flour, Italian seasoning and half each of the salt and pepper.
- In a large, shallow saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. In batches as necessary, brown beef and transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and sauté carrots, garlic, onion and celery for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Return steak to the pan, along with any accumulated juices. Stir in gnocchi, reduce heat and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened and gnocchi is tender. Discard bay leaves.
Serves 4 to 6.