By Emily Richards
Cook along with Emily Richards to make this thick and comforting Gnocchi and Beef Stew.
Gnocchi and Beef Stew
- 1 1/4 lbs beef strip loin steaks, trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups ready-to-use beef broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb fresh potato gnocchi
- Toss steak with flour, Italian seasoning and half each of the salt and pepper.
- In a large, shallow saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. In batches as necessary, brown beef and transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and sauté carrots, garlic, onion and celery for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Return steak to the pan, along with any accumulated juices. Stir in gnocchi, reduce heat and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened and gnocchi is tender. Discard bay leaves.