Curl up with a bowl of this Deep, Dark and Stout Chili made with dark stout beer on a cold winter day.
Deep, Dark and Stout Chili
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef (or 1 lb/500 g extra lean ground beef)
- 15 oz can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 cans (14.5 oz/ 412 mL) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 bottle (12 oz/341 mL) dark stout beer
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 Tbsp sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium lime cut into 6 wedges
- Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, brown beef, about 3-4 minutes per batch, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook bell peppers and onions 4 minutes or until onions are soft, stirring frequently. Stir into cooked beef. Add stewed tomatoes, beer, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bouillon. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Serve chili with choice of toppings placed in three small bowls.