Photo credit: Reflector Inc. Recipe credit: Courtesy of Best of Bridge Comfort Food by Sylvia Kong and Emily Richards © 2019 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. Available where books are sold.
Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki
This easy meal is great for a bbq get-together. Marinate the chicken ahead, then skewer it when you are ready to grill. Everyone gets to enjoy meat on a stick! Served up alongside some backyard favorites, this will be a winner.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 2 lbs (1 kg) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into generous 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated English cucumber, squeezed dry
- ¾ cup (175 mL) plain greek or other very thick yogurt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Cook with Emily Richards #loveCDNrecipes
- In a large, shallow glass dish, stir together garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add chicken and toss to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat greased barbecue grill to medium.
- Remove chicken from marinade, degrading marinade, and thread chicken onto skewers.
- Grill, turning occasionally, for about 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve with Tzatziki.
- For Tzatziki: In a small bowl, stir together garlic, cucumber, yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, for up to 5 days.
Want to learn more about chicken and improve your cooking skills? Check out these related articles: