Mustard powder adds big flavour in this simple and delicious one-pot Cheesy Baked Gnocchi, Italian Sausage and Vegetable Casserole. Pantry-friendly potato gnocchi, a rich tomato sauce, cheesy goodness and healthy vegetables make this a family favourite dish. Just add crusty bread to round out the meal.
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi, Italian Sausage and Vegetable Casserole
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 19 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 16 oz package potato gnocchi
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a 12-inch oven-proof skillet, warm the canola oil over medium-high heat. Squeeze the sausage meat out of the casing and into the skillet. Cook for a minute or two then stir in the onion. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion is translucent and the sausage is browned. Some larger chunks of sausage are fine. Stir in the vegetables, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir in the dry mustard powder and sugar. Cook, uncovered for 3-4 minutes. Add the potato gnocchi, breaking it up if there are clumps stuck together. Be sure to smother all of the gnocchi in sauce. Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes until the gnocchi is tender and the sauce is bubbly.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and dollop the ricotta cheese over the surface of the casserole. Top with the shredded mozzarella. Bake, uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and gooey. Place under the broiler for 2 minutes, to brown the cheese, if you like. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.