Mild-flavoured white fish gets a kick of Cajun in this traditional Louisiana favourite. It is teamed here with a classic French vegetable ratatouille.
Blackened Canadian White Fish with Ratatouille
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (7 oz/200 g) your favourite white fish (Northern Pike, Walleye, Bass, Cod, Haddock)
- In Dutch oven over medium heat, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of the canola oil. Add eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, garlic and basil. Cook, covered, for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in small bowl mix together spices. Brush basa fillet with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the canola oil. Sprinkle spice mixture over both sides of fish.
- Heat remaining canola oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook fish 2 to 3 minutes per side until the fish flakes easily.
- Spoon half of the ratatouille onto each plate. Divide fish in half; place over ratatouille.