This sushi is fit for everyone!
Not everyone is into raw fish, so this roll is the perfect introduction to sushi. These cute rolls are perfect for a packed lunch.
Beef Sushi Rolls
- 1/2 cup dry short grain (sushi) rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 lb thin-cut beef steaks (approx. 4 steaks)
- Add rice and water to a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring the water to a boil and reduce heat to low. Put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes turn off the heat and let stand with lid on for 10 minutes. The rice should be fully cooked. Place the rice in a bowl and stir in rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix and let rice cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, salt, garlic powder and sesame seeds. Divide mixture in half, keeping half as a dipping sauce and the other half as a basting sauce.
- Tenderize each steak by pounding on just one side with a meat mallet or heavy fry-pan. Steaks should be approx. 3 mm thick. Brush each side of the steaks with the soy sauce mixture that was reserved for basting. Spread 1/4 cup of rice mixture over each beef slice. Evenly scatter carrot, cucumber and mushrooms over rice on each slice. Roll up each, like a jelly roll, starting at short side of the steak. Tie each with 2 to 3 pieces of butcher twine.
- Heat oil in large oven-proof nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add sushi rolls and cook, turning often, until golden brown all over, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to 400°F (200°C) oven. Cook, turning each roll once, until cooked to about 140°F (60°C) inside when tested with digital instant read thermometer, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 1-inch rounds and serving.