It’s easy to transform a simple parent meal into a nutritious meal for a baby. Learn the basic guidelines and how to adapt this Beef Steak & Lentil Salad recipe for babies and toddlers.
This nutritious recipe is from our family-friendly meals for baby series.
Beef Steak & Lentil Salad
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb beef grilling steak (e.g. strip loin or top sirloin), 1-inch thick
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fresh or roasted mashed
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups assorted grilled vegetables (e.g. zucchini, sweet red pepper, asparagus, etc.), cut in chunks
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 19 oz can lentils, drained and rinsed well
- 6 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- Combine pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in small bowl. Rub mixture over steak; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together oil, red onion, garlic, vinegar, basil, salt and oregano in large salad bowl. Add grilled vegetables, tomatoes, lentils and artichoke hearts. Gently toss together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill steak over medium-high heat for 4 to 7 minutes per side for medium, testing doneness by inserting a digital instant read thermometer sideways into steak. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut steak into thin slices; serve with lentil mixture.
Baby/Toddler Fast Adapt
- Prepare foods without adding salt
- Cook beef to 160ºF (71ºC)
- Exclude dairy ingredients until baby is 9 months of age
- Before serving, heat up all baby food until hot, then cool to lukewarm
Infant Mix: Combine cooked steak with lentils and cooked veggies in a blender or food processor. If needed, add breastmilk or formula for easier blending and process until smooth.
Baby Chunky Mash: Combine cooked steak with lentils and cooked veggies in a blender or food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add water, formula or breastmilk to thin, as needed.
Toddler Finger Foods: Cut cooked steak into bite-sized pieces and serve with the salad.