Barley Salad with Spinach and Strawberries
Sweet, tart strawberries make a delicious addition to a summer salad. If you’re taking this to a party, add nuts just before serving to keep them crunchy.Print Pin
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup dry pearl or pot barley
- 4 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Bring large saucepan of water to a boil, add barley and cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Then drain well, running under cool water to stop grains from cooking, and transfer to wide, shallow serving bowl. Set aside to cool completely.
- Add spinach, celery and onions to cooled barley and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with strawberries, goat cheese and pecans.
- To make vinaigrette: In medium bowl or small jar, whisk or shake together all ingredients. Pour over salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.