Chef Jenni Lessard shares a recipe for barley, lentil and vegetable soup perfect for a cold winter day. This delicious whole-grain barley soup is packed with hearty lentils and a tasty mix of vegetables. Soup freezes well if you have any leftovers.
Barley, Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced (reserve 1 tsp/ 5 mL for topping)
- 2 large carrots diced
- 4 celery stalks diced (reserve leaves for topping)
- 1 cup other raw vegetables diced, (use up what you have in your refrigerator)
- 8 cups water
- 28 oz can tomatoes whole or diced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup split red lentils well rinsed
- 1/2 cup pot or pearl barley
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp pickle liquid any kind, or vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté for about 2 minutes or until garlic starts to brown and onions are translucent.
- Add carrots, celery, mixed raw vegetables and continue sautéing for 4 to 5 minutes or under vegetables are almost tender. Mix in onion powder, oregano, dried basil, salt and cook another few minutes.
- In a large pot, add vegetable mixture, water, tomatoes with their liquid, lentils, barley, bay leaves and chili flakes. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until barley has expanded, and lentils are soft.
- Add pickle liquid and maple syrup to soup. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Allow to cook an additional 10 minutes to thicken. Remove bay leaves. Top with toasted barley and wild rice bits and celery leaves. Serve.
- In a heavy bottomed or cast-iron pan heat oil over medium high heat. Add reserved garlic and cook just until browned. Remove garlic from pan and set aside. Remove barley and wild rice from pan and add to garlic, season with salt and pepper; Set aside.
- Return pan to heat, add barley and wild rice, toast until wild rice pops and barley is browned. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove barley and wild rice from pan and add to garlic. Season with salt and pepper; Set aside.