Recipe courtesy of GoBarley
Get ready to spice up your dinner routine with an irresistible dish – Barley Jambalaya! This hearty and flavour-packed meal is sure to impress and satisfy your taste buds. Imagine tender barley blended with Cajun-style seasonings, juicy shrimp, and Italian sausage, all simmered together in a savoury tomato-based broth. Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also a great way to incorporate healthy, whole-grain barley into your diet.
- 1 lb hot or mild Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut bite sized
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup pot or pearl barley
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 10 oz can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 8 oz cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, Cook sausage and chicken until no longer pink (6 to 8 minutes).
- If necessary, drain fat from the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic, oregano and chili powder; cook one minute. Stir in barley, tomatoes, chicken broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in parsley.