This Asian Inspired Big Batch Meatballs with Broccoli and Peppers recipe allows you to cook a meal for tonight and then have extra meatballs to freeze for weekday lunches or have dinner prepped for another busy weeknight.
Asian Inspired Big Batch Meatballs with Broccoli and Peppers
- 2 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 lb lean ground beef
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp five spice powder
- 4 Tbsp minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Hoisin dipping sauce
- Tear the bread into pieces and combine with milk in a bowl; let stand to soak. Meanwhile, toss the broccoli and peppers with canola oil, salt and pepper and distribute evenly over a 16 x 11-inch foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl combine the bread and milk mixture, ground beef, onions, five spice powder, ginger, garlic and soya sauce. Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of ground beef mixture and roll into meatballs. Set aside.
- Combine the cilantro and sesame seeds on another baking sheet or large plate. Roll each meatball in the cilantro and sesame seed mixture to coat. Place the meatballs onto foil-lined rimmed baking sheet pans, 20 on the one sheet pan with the veggies, and 20 on the other sheet pan (no veggies).
- Bake in 400˚F (200˚C) oven for 10 minutes; turn each meatball and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes, until veggies are tender and meatballs are cooked through, testing that a digital instant-read thermometer reads 160˚F (71˚C) when inserted into several meatballs. Transfer the meatballs with veggies tray into a serving dish. Serve with the meatballs and vegetables with the Hoisin Dipping Sauce.
- Allow other meatballs to cool. Transfer meatballs to a container, seal and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Combine 1/3 cup (75 mL) EACH hoisin sauce and mayonnaise with 1 Tbsp (15 ML) sambal oelek and 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil.