Cook along with Emily Richards as she makes Baked Mushroom and Herb Barley Risotto. Barley offers up a delicious and rich-tasting alternative to rice in a risotto. With its slightly firm texture and ease of preparation, this creamy risotto is a breeze because there is no continuous stirring involved.
Courtesy of Best of Bridge Weekday Suppers by Sylvia Kong and Emily Richards © 2018 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. Available where books are sold.
Image credit: Matt Johannsson, Reflector Inc
- How to prepare the mushrooms
- About canola oil
- About Dutch ovens
- What risotto is
- Read through the recipe and assemble the ingredients
- Wash hands and tie back hair
- Start cook along video and prepare the recipe
Baked Mushroom and Herb Barley Risotto
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté mushrooms, garlic, onion and Italian seasoning for about 10 minutes or until no liquid remains.
- Stir in barley until coated. Stir in roasted tomatoes and broth; bring to boil.
- Cover, transfer to oven and bake for 30 minutes or until barley is tender but firm.
- Remove from oven and stir in cream cheese until melted and creamy.