Sweet, tart strawberries make a delicious addition to a salad. Cook Along with Dietitian, Michelle Jaelin to learn how to make a vinaigrette and this yummy Barley Salad with Spinach and Strawberries.
- About the benefits of canola oil
- The vinaigrette dressing ratio
- What an emulsifier is and what common emulsifier ingredients are
- How long you can store homemade dressing
- Nutritional benefits of healthy fats
- Read through the recipe and assemble the ingredients
- Wash hands and tie back hair
- Start cook along video and prepare the recipe
Barley Salad with Spinach and Strawberries
- 1 cup dry pearl or pot barley
- 4 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Bring large saucepan of water to a boil, add barley and cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Then drain well, running under cool water to stop grains from cooking, and transfer to wide, shallow serving bowl. Set aside to cool completely.
- Add spinach, celery and onions to cooled barley and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with strawberries, goat cheese and pecans.
- To make vinaigrette: In medium bowl or small jar, whisk or shake together all ingredients. Pour over salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.