Calculate the time your main course takes to cook
plus resting time and work backwards from your planned mealtime to determine when to get in the oven. Don’t forget include about 20 minutes to dish up and get everyone seated.
Roast Turkey Parts with Maple Thyme Glaze
- 5-6 lbs bone-in, skin-on turkey parts (breast,thighs, drumsticks or wings)
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper. Place pieces with the skin-side up on a rack in a large roasting pan, leaving space between pieces.
- Roast turkey for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Whisk together syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until bubbles slow somewhat and syrup is slightly thickened.Remove from heat and let cool until bubbles subside. Stir in thyme.
- Brush about half of the glaze over turkey. Roast for 10 minutes. Spoon about 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the pan drippings into remaining glaze and stir until blended; brush over turkey. Roast for 5 to 15minutes longer or until meat thermometer in the thickest part reads 170°F (77°C). Remove the smaller pieces, such as wings and drumsticks as they are ready, leaving larger pieces in the oven. Brush with any remaining glaze. Transfer turkey to a cutting board and tent with foil for 10 to 20 minutes before carving.Copyright Jennifer MacKenzie and Jay Nutt 2020
Read the full article by Jennifer MacKenzie: How to Plan, Prep and Cook a Feast