A straightforward egg salad sandwich hits the spot on many an occasion.
- 4 egg
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced celery
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- Place eggs in saucepan and fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover and remove from heat and let stand for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to chill. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Crack egg shells all over and remove. Place hard cooked eggs in bowl and using a fork or potato masher, mash eggs until finely chopped.
- Stir in yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Add celery and onion, if using and stir to combine.
- Spread over your favourite bread or stuff into pita halves or scoop some onto your favourite salad greens.
Salmon Dill Variation: Omit green onion. Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped smoked salmon, 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh dill and 2 tsp (10 mL) capers, chopped.
Pickle Bacon: Omit celery. Add 1 small dill pickle, diced, 2 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped and 1 tsp (5 mL) horseradish (or more if desired).
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Servings: 3 sandwiches
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 220 mg
Sodium: 395 mg
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Fibre: 1 g
Protein: 8 g